Wednesday, January 9, 2008

What are we doing here?

Since this blog is new, I figured that I would clue people in as to why we are in Mexico and what we are currently doing.

We moved here exactly 2 years ago. In January of 2006 we made the long, 3-day drive, from Douglasville, GA to Guadalajara, Mexico. We had a trailer full of stuff and our minds were full of wonder. We knew that God had given Derrick a vision to see Bible Training Centers all over Mexico. But at that point, our first priority was to learn the language and get somewhat acquainted with the culture. We also needed to get to know our team members & build strong relationships with them. We are members of a team of missionaries, FIREmexico. We are currently 5 families, some with more time here and some with less. It is a good support system and we can really see the five fold ministry coming to fruition through this team.

So here we are, 2 years later. We attended an intense language school, specifically for missionaries. We are still learning the culture, and I know that we will never understand everything about it. And in 2 weeks, Derrick is starting the first Bible Training Center.

WHAT IS A BIBLE TRAINING CENTER?
The type of Bible Training Center that my husband desires to see is a 2-year school that teaches the Bible, teaches the five fold ministry, how to impart the five fold ministry, and taking it to Jerusalem (Guadalajara), Samaria (the Mexican Indians), and to the ends of the world. One thing that is for sure is that a Mexican's face, and passport, can get him/her into many closed countries that ours cannot.

On January 26th the doors are opening and the school is beginning. School is one day a week, Saturday, to help with their work schedules. Derrick has 10 students already! Our team members, Andy & A.W., are going to help with teaching the classes. There will also be a time for hands-on, practical ministry...evangelism, discipleship, worship, teaching, etc.

Also, this school is not being started to plant a church. There may be students that graduate from the school that go on the plant churches elsewhere. This is not a tool to take away from the already-established Mexican churches. It's a tool to enhance them & strengthen the churches.

WHAT'S MY MINISTRY IN MEXICO?
I am, and until my kids are out of the house, will be a stay-at-home Mom. My main focus, or ministry, is my children, their relationship w/ God, and their education. We are trying to get the kids involved in baseball & gymnastics, so that will add a little bit more to my plate, on top of homeschool (which is A LOT). Thankfully both activities are within a decent amount of walking distance from our house. We are also expecting our 3rd child in early May. So that will add another spice to the mix!

I also feel that it is my ministry to make our house a home, no matter where we are. It is hard and it stresses me out sometimes. In the midst of trying to make a home for our family, I'm still in confusion due to being out of my comfort zone. So it is a process and I am learning something new everyday. I am sure that about the time I've figured it out, my kids will be long gone, making babies of their own.

That is our life up to this point. I'm looking forward to sharing many stories from here on out.


Many blessings as I live my life by faith!
P.S. ~ This thing is not letting me edit like I want to. There is supposed to be a paragraph break at "I also feel that it is my ministry...". So anyway, don't know what to do about that. Argh!

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena