Yesterday was a good day.
First, I did homeschool with m son. He was so excited about learning how to read, I never realized that it would be so frustrating. For all of the frustrations, there are sparks of joy when I see it click in his head and I hear him finally read his words! We haven't been into it long enough for me to make any hardcore judgments on how he learns. It is a learning process for me, as well, because I'm trying new things and finding out what works and what does not work. As hard as it is, I could not imagine anybody else having the privilege of teaching my son to read. So we continue on...
After my husband returned from a long day of working at the Bible school, we had to, and I mean HAD TO, go grocery shopping. For example, we were so low on food, we had cereal for dinner last night. In Guadalajara, grocery shopping is an event. There is no such thing as one-stop-shopping here. First we travel to Costco. We left the house at 5:30 p.m. Costco is my most favorite store here in Guadalajara. If I could buy all of our food there, I would. But it's way too expensive. We just buy the "American" food that we can't find at any other grocery store. Things like Tyson chicken, Cinnabon muffins, Clorox wipes, and so on. We also bought these DELICIOUS donuts, but I will get into that later. Next we're off to Superama, which is a version of Wal-Mart without the clothes, electronics, etc. We arrive back at the house at about 8:30 p.m. After putting the groceries away and organizing everything, it was 9:00 p.m. For my pregnant body, it was very tiring. I was whooped. Nonetheless, we have food and I can cook some delicious meals!
Costco Donuts!!! They are mini-donuts, flavored with cinnamon & sugar. I usually steer clear of them, because they are dangerous. I have been doing very well with this pregnancy, and I have been very low-carb. But last night, I threw caution to the wind and I ate some donuts. Now let me tell you about these donuts. Not only are they little, but they are finger-licking, sinful, delectable, donuts. You can eat a large number of them and not even realize how many you have eaten. In the time that it took Derrick to put the groceries in the car, I had eaten 7. On the way home, I think that I had 3 more, making my grand total to be 10!!! I didn't stop with the donuts. When we got home, I saw that we had a packet of ranch dressing powder that somebody had brought us from the States. So I mixed it with some sour cream and busted out the garlic bagel crisps to dip into the ranch dip! Man, it was a good night of pigging out! I am now back on track. I will be a good, healthy eater and I will take care of my body.
OH, another exciting event is that we found frozen biscuits at Superama! That means that I can thaw them out and make dumplings at some point. They do not have Crisco here, so I can't make them the old-fashioned way. I also haven't found self-rising flour, so I can't use that technique, either. Chicken & dumplings, here I come.
Thursday, January 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You've got to love little treats from home. They really do a lot to encourage!
Funnily enough, we had chicken and dumplings tonight for dinner. I bet you can find everything you need for this recipe there:
2 c all purpose flour
1 egg
1/2 c sour cream
1/2 chicken broth (I just pull the broth from the soup I have going for it)
I had the same problem when we moved overseas... all my recipes required a can opener! :) I have a great collection of home made recipes now and am so used to cooking that way, I still do even though we're back in the States now. I'm happy to email you some recipes if you want.
:)
Post a Comment