Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Childhood Dreamin'

If I had it my way, we would be living in Vermont. Or possibly another state of the northeast. But I seem to be stuck on Vermont. I don't know where this obsession started. Maybe it is because I am seasonal and I love extreme seasons. Vermont is green and full of vibrant colors during the spring and summer. Orange, yellow and red during the fall. And white during the winter.

Not only do I want to live there, but I want to live in a particular type house there. I have another obsession with old houses...like 18th century houses. I love the enormous fireplaces, the wide-plank floors, the beams on the ceiling, and the general design of the houses.



(courtesy of gpb.org)

Have you ever seen the show "If Walls Could Talk"? It is a show about people that move into older homes and find a piece of history in the house; whether it be in the attic, in a crawl space, or behind a wall. I would love for my house to be like that. It was be so fascinating to discover a piece of hidden history. So much of that history is not as appreciated nowadays. I have a deep appreciation for it.

Movies like "Baby Boom" and "Funny Farm" don't help with this obsession. I think "Funny Farm" may take place in upstate NY...still just as beautiful. None the less, it's the idea of a small, beautiful town (like the made-up town of Stars Hollow) with an old house and pretty seasons. Where we can live a slower pace of life and make memories and grow old there.


(House from "Baby Boom", courtesy of hookedonhouses.net)

OUCH! Who pinched me??? Yes...it's just a childhood dream. I know that I am living the ultimate dream of serving God and living where He wants us to and doing what He wants us to do. I can only pray that He will take us to an old, historic house with large fireplaces in Vermont someday. :-D

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena