We've enjoyed many holiday meals at our family members' houses over the years. I've looked at how things have progressed over the years. I have often wondered how the annual traditions make their shift from one generation to another. Ours has somewhat made that shift. Even though I've been an adult for a long time, this transition makes me feel like a real adult.
Thanksgiving is now at our house. We have a big enough house for everyone. We are somewhat centrally located. It's easier to keep our kids at home than to take them somewhere else. But this also means that I actually have to organize, host and COOK! I can cook. But I'm not a creative chef.
Last year we were in charge of the turkey and I made my great-grandmommy's Lazy Texas Potatoes. I *slaved* over the turkey. I put a stick of butter in it, put it in a bag, and put it in the roaster. This year we are FRYING a turkey, I'm making Lazy Sweet Potatoes and P-dub's Macaroni & Cheese.
I feel like a big girl. I'm not just going to show up at someone's house and eat. I'm a contributor. I'm a hostess. It's kind of surreal. It's a great experience to be able to create traditions and make memories with our family. I'm hoping to remember these days, when our kids are adults and we are coming to their house to see our grandkids for Thanksgiving and eat the turkey that they've cooked.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Love that you have two lazy dishes on your list! :)
The Lazy Mom
www.imalazymom.com
Post a Comment