As cliche as the theme of the movie can be, it is a true tale of everybody's life. Everybody has issues. Everybody has a story of hurt and pain. Of rejection. Of the need to live up to and/or rebel against the standards set by their parents. And that messes us all up.
Last night we were watching Linkin Park on Palladia (only the coolest channel on our cable). The lead singer looks tough with his tattoos, gaged ears, and strong presence in voice and on stage. But inside he's just a little boy who is hurting from a past of sexual abuse, a broken home, and other things. If you listen to his lyrics, they speak loudly of the pain that he's trying to hide under his rough-looking shell of an exterior.
We all have vices, or bad habits, that we use to cope with the things going on in our lives. The obvious ones are drugs, alcohol, cutting, food and sexual relationships. Those seem to have the quickest response time and also are the quickest to destroy a person. Others use video games, work, sports or exercise, shopping, reading, movies, television, Facebook, sleep, etc. to "escape" the pain. How many times have you said, after a hard day at work, "Man, I sure could use a ______ (drink, good movie, pizza, nap, good book)."? Some people also use things to try to prevent people from seeing their pain...whether it be arrogance, laughter, isolation and seclusion, or intelligence.
The Ultimate Answer, and the Answer that will never leave us feeling empty after "using" it, is God. Again...sounds cliche, but it's the truth. I would love to say that I turn to Him every time that I'm struggling, but I don't. I turn to a funny movie or TV show along with a nice, cold can of Coca-Cola that has been in the freezer for a little bit and has just a few ice chips in it. :-D Yes, I turn to the Word and worship at times. But it always seems easier to watch the movie because it's mindless. I don't have to think to accomplish it. I can just be and just escape.
I'm also slow to share my struggles with just anyone. Not that everyone needs to know all of your stuff. But my husband and I are firm believers that accountability is the key to success in our relationship with God, with each other, and with others. Being transparent is hard because it makes you so vulnerable and leaves you feeling like people are judging you, when they're actually not. It's painful because it brings the ugly, dark corners of your heart to light. And let's all tell the truth, spring cleaning isn't always fun, especially in our hearts. Even though we feel so much better after everything is all clean and in order without confusion and chaos.
The reality is that my issue is right there in my face when the movie/show is over. And it usually hits me hard again the next morning. Until I fully lay it at the feet of Jesus. My issue is still there even if I'm trying to hide it from those that I love. Another reality is that I CANNOT hide it from God. So why would I try to not allow Him to help me with it? It seems so simple and yet, like going through surgery without anesthesia.
I am writing a lot of this to say, we all have stuff. We all have issues. Our circumstances do not make us above or below anyone else in this world. Because at the core of us all is a little child that needs to be held in the Father's arms and to hear Him whisper, "I love you just the way you are".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
good post!! thanks for the wise words...
Post a Comment