Tuesday, February 9, 2010

~ The Waiting Room ~

I had to take my blue-eyed baby to the doctor today for his 6 month check up. I actually had a shortER wait in the waiting room. I still had enough time to observe everyone in there.

Including us, there were 4 families in the waiting room. One was a Mom with her 2 kids. They were speaking some sort of African dialect. There was another family in there; husband, wife, and baby. They were Chinese and were speaking Chinese to each other. There was another lady in there with her son. They were Mexican and only speaking Spanish. And then there was me and my baby...mainly English speaking, but still able to effectively eavesdrop on the Mexican family's conversation.

I was in awe of this setting. Four very different cultures were represented in the room. It was so cool! How often does that happen? How often do you find yourself in a situation like that? Four families that typically wouldn't be able to communicate with each other. Three of those families either chose to make a life in the United States or their parents did. Shoot, my great-grandparents chose it for me when they came over from Italy. There were 4 different colors of skin, shapes of eyes, textures of hair, and so on. I was truly amazed.

Anyway, my baby is growing pretty well. He had 5 shots. It was 5 only because I chose to let him receive the H1N1 and seasonal flu vaccines. I typically wouldn't do that, but with the 2 older kids in school, we are more susceptible than ever. He was a trooper and stopped crying as soon as the band aids hit his legs. Thank God!

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena