I attended a large church growing up. We had a substantial sized youth group. The most special and most coveted class to be in was the Senior Sunday school class. Not just because they were Seniors, but because of the Sunday school director, Mr. Jim Nash. They were so special that ONLY seniors and the other Sunday school teachers and helpers were allowed in the class.
Mr. Nash had been the director of the Senior Sunday school class for as long as I could remember. He is tall and lovable. He has a huge, cool factor because he used to be a professional baseball player. He connected with all of his students. The seniors were special because he made them feel special. It was their last year in high school and he let them go out with a bang!
When I was a sophomore, I was sent a letter from Mr. Nash. I was chosen to be an honorary senior if I decided to complete certain tasks. I completed them and became an honorary senior. What privilege it was for me. I was allowed to go into the senior classroom before church, which I did every Sunday just to give Mr. Nash a hug. We were kindred spirits.
On top of all of that, he would take the time to attend various sporting events of his students. It always warmed my heart when I saw Mr. Nash up in the crowd when I cheered. (Yes, I was a cheerleader. You can judge if you want, but I loved it.)
As I stated earlier, he is a former professional baseball player. If you know baseball, you know that baseball teams have their own sign language. We had our own senior sign language. If he was in the orchestra or up in the crowd, he would sign to me and I would respond. On my wedding day as I was walking back down the aisle after becoming Mrs. B, he signed to me "I love you" and I signed back. It was so special.
Throughout our senior year, there were ways that we could gain points (scripture memory, attendance, and other various projects) so that you could earn your wings. Earn your wings? Where did that come from? I think you know where I'm going with this. "It's a Wonderful Life"!
One of the senior traditions was the "It's a Wonderful Life" party. We watched it and then we had a friendly quiz on it, girls vs. boys. The girls ALWAYS won. But up until my senior year, I had never cared to watch the movie or even give it a second glance. Mr. Nash changed all of that for me.
At the end of our senior year, he would have a ceremony where you would get your wings, if you earned them. Some received a star. And there is one 5-star, but you had to beat the previous person's points to get it. The last person to get it had graduated like 4 years before me. Anyway. I still have my wings. They sit in my jewelry box. Every once in a while I'll take them out and look at them. I cherish them.
"Daddy! Teacher says every time a bell rings an angel gets it wings!"
Here I am, 15 1/2 years later. "It's a Wonderful Life" has become a movie that our entire family loves! Our tradition is that we watch it every Christmas Eve as a family. It is the all-time best Christmas movie, epitomizing every feeling associated with the Christmas season. I'm so thankful to Mr. Nash for introducing me to something that will hopefully be carried on as a family tradition to our grandkids and so forth.
"I wish I had a million dollars. HOT DOG!"
1 comment:
What a special story. I grew up in a similar youth group it was awesome! I have never seen the movie but now I really want to watch it. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment