Friday, October 31, 2008

Not inspired...



Here's the most recent and posted-on-every-page picture that I have.

I don't really have that much to write. I don't really want to write about politics. Well, here's something funny that just happened as I was thinking of what to write. Our daughter just asked me, "Mom...what's the IRS?" I promptly said, "the internal revenue service." To which she replied, "Oh." She heard the term on TV and just felt the need to ask.

Well, today is Halloween. Sunday is Day of the Dead. People elsewhere in the world think that it is a cool holiday. IT'S NOT! It's kinda creepy. When you walk around and see shrines with skulls and incense covered by a picture of the virgin of Guadalupe, it's weird. But it's not my culture and not my thing. Mexicans probably think that some of the stuff that we do is weird, too. I remember last year, when my Mexican friend, Elsa, was in the States with us, she asked why there were pumpkins all over the place. She, being a Mexican, only associated pumpkins with Halloween. I explained to her that in the States pumpkins represent autumn, harvest, etc. So there you go...difference of culture. So what do skulls, altars, incense, and virgins have to say about their culture? I could go on and on about cultures, weird cultural ideas, and my thoughts on that, but I'm hungry, my 2 older kids are hungry, and Israel is crying. Feel free to share your thoughts. My thoughts are put on pause for now.

2 comments:

Valarie Lea said...

I have never understood the whole day of the dead thing :[

Melinda said...

I love this new picture of the kids! They do grow up so fast! I can't wait to see you all in a few weeks!!! Love, Mom

 
Designed by Lena