Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Taking a few minutes...

I have a few minutes, so I thought that I would give a slimmed-down version of the birth story.
Sunday morning, May 4th, I woke up at 7 a.m. with what I thought was gas, but it was contractions. They were 4 minutes apart. We waited about an hour to call the doctor. By the time we called him, the contractions were 1 1/2 minutes apart. We went to the hospital. Thank God it was a Sunday morning b/c there was no traffic. When we arrived I was triaged and I was 5 cm. They took me to my suite to get me ready to go to the labor & delivery room. By the time I got in the L&D room, I was 7 cm. I received my epidural pretty much immediately...THANK GOD! They had me lying flat on my back on the L&D bed, so I was not able to handle the contractions very well. Also, b/c of being on my back I about passed out. Not sure what it is about pregnant women here, but they must be able to lay on their backs...I couldn't. ANYWAY, about 15 minutes later I was ready to push. I felt a ton of pressure. But they thought that he was high and they were telling me not to push and just to let him come down a little. I was trying to breath through it, but my body was naturally pushing...I COULD NOT HELP IT! I'm yelling at them that I need to push, but they're all telling me "NO". Needless to say, when it came time to push, I pushed for a few minutes. It was about 3 sets of pushes. Out he came at 10:38 a.m. Because this is Mexico & a little bit more old fashioned, they took him straight to the nursery to bathe him & dress him. I did not see him for 3 hours. It was very difficult, but I finally got him and I haven't let him go since :-). That's the speedy version. I'm not sure if I'll publically tell the detailed version...it's not gross, it's just a lot of culture stuff that's different & hard to explain.
Blessings!

3 comments:

Valarie Lea said...

That sounds like an adventure to me. I always hated it when the nurses would tell me not to push. With Little Logan I told the nurse up front that when I said I am ready normally I am ready. I only pushed for about 3 minutes on all of my kids. With Sydney they were not even ready for her in the nursery because she got here so quickly. :)

Jo said...

Whoa!!! That may be one of the fastest labors ever... amazing you made it so long! :)

This Journey of Mine said...

WoW! I can't believe you passed out! Thank you Jesus for fast deliveries!

 
Designed by Lena